Thursday, January 7, 2010

Am I the only person that lets their dishes soak in hot water before I wash them...?

So I don't have to scrub them as hard (less Work). I have a dishwasher but I think it uses an unnecessary amount of water.Am I the only person that lets their dishes soak in hot water before I wash them...?
I let the dishes soak in hot, soapy water too. That way the soap does the work, not me!Am I the only person that lets their dishes soak in hot water before I wash them...?
possibly, but that is a good idea.
Yes. I do them the same way (old fashioned way).
I do that all the time...kills germs...easier to clean.
I let my dishes soak all the time. And you are right. It is less work than having to scrub them. Faster too.
no, it makes it easier plus I get the water really hot so it kills the bacteria, wait about 10 minutes then clean em
no i do too.
No. Thats how I was taught to wash dishes.





Your concern about your dishwasher using too much water might actually be backwards, especially if you drain the hot water and start with a fresh sink of dishwater before scrubbing. Even the most careful hand-washers tend to use too much water. And dishes are more sanitary from a dishwasher because the water is heated hotter than even your tap water via booster heaters inside the washer. To conserve energy don't use the dry setting on the washer. Just open the door and let them air dry after the rinse cycle.
My mom does the same thing. Hot water kills germs quicker than cold water.
Don't listen to those other people. You are the only person on the planet that does that. That makes you special. LOL.
Yes, soaking them is a good idea. Not sure about the water saving thing, I think dishwashers are water savers and usually there is a water and energy saver setting.


Here's an article I found:


Study Proves Dishwashers Use Less Water Than Hand Washing














By Martin Vedris





GERMANY: A recent study by Bonn University in Germany compared hand washing 140 items with the same load in a 12 place setting dishwasher and concluded that dishwashers consume about half the energy and a third of the water used.





The results showed that the hand wash used 63 litres and required 4.2 kilowatt-hours of energy to heat the water -considerably more than most dishwashers used.





In a statement provided to Current.com.au, Electrolux Home Products regulatory affairs manager, Ian Forte said the German research supported what many in the industry had advocated for years. He referred to the Electrolux Dishlex EX401 model which uses only 15.9 litres per wash and 0.64 kilowatt-hours of energy.





“We have invested a lot of time and effort to ensure the highest standards of energy and water efficiency in our dishwashers and, anecdotally, we are noticing more people appreciating the environmental advantages of using them,” Forte said.





“Certainly less people now believe in the old myth that dishwashers had a negative effect on the environment. In fact, the combination of their stylish design and quieter operating systems with proven water saving and energy efficiencies make our new dishwashers more appealing than ever.”





Saving time was another major benefit of dishwashers revealed by the Bonn study. It found that while it took 79 minutes to wash up 140 items by hand, it took an average of just 15 minutes to load and unload the dishwasher. This works out at a saving of 16 days a year.
i let my dishes soak a few minutes before i wash them depending on how dirty they are. so no, your not the only one.
No, I soak my dishes.
No, I do that too. Haven't got a dishwasher :-(
I do... doesn't everybody...
Quit being so friggin frugal, sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh!!!!
I doubt it.
I only let pots and pans soak in hot water or if something is really dirty/sticky.
No, I think that a lot of people do that.
I do the same, but with a cap full of bleach. I learned that at a CDC seminar.
I have always done the same thing...even when I didn't have a dishwasher
nope- i do it but my husband never does
Hot water is good to kill germs.
Yeah its a rockin awesome way to get everything loosened up before you have to start working on them.
I don't soak I just let the hot water run for five minutes


I have to do that anyway cause I have well water and the rust backs up not cause I an anti-environmentalist
I rinse off the dishes, when the dishwasher is completely full run it through. I'll rethink it, maybe it would be better for the environment with your method.
maybee





i just wash tem.


dishwashers r hurting the damn nature!!!





no more water :(
good idea

No comments:

Post a Comment