Sunday, December 20, 2009

Washing your laundry in cold water?

I've recently thought about mainly doing my laundry in cold water, with a few exceptions. I guess my question is ... I've read that water has to be a certain temperature for the detergent to activate, so if the water temperature doesn't get up high enough the soap is essentially doing nothing, right?Washing your laundry in cold water?
I wash about 80% of my washing in cold water and use powder and it dissolves and works fine. You have been mis-informed. It is the machine not the water temperature that does the job. :)Washing your laundry in cold water?
Generally, I've found little or no difference in washing clothing in cold water...





I wash almost EVERYTHING in cold with the exception of socks, underwear, and linens.





I also use baking soda about 1 cup per wash load and I use HALF the detergent I would normally use! So, a 300 oz. ERA, CHEER or WISK now lasts me about 6-9 months or longer!





The detergent ';activates'; with the agitation of the washer... You'll see the water bubble up when the washer starts! Also, if you fill the washer with water and pour the detergent in the water NOT on top of the clothing it will work better....





Good luck
Nope, not really. I switched to all cold water washes. With the ';few'; exceptions. Like a load of whites with bleach now and then and that's it. Too much hot water and energy to reheat all that water. Saves me money. By the time it would actually discolor any clothing, your probably tired of it anyways and getting something new. Actually, it really doesn't do much if anything to my colors. Just my whites. And I bleach now and then and they are fine. And my clothes smell o.k. So the soap is working. Hopet his helps.
Warm water will give better soil removal results.





* Every 5C or 41 F increase in wash temperature, wash efficiency will double.





* To get the same soil removal from a cold wash, you would have to double wash the time or use twice as much chemical.





Good Luck!!
I do all the laundry, and I always wash in cold water (I have plenty of experience-I do four loads a day by myself, and live with 6 other people). It's definitely helps avoid shrinking and keeps the color in the clothes.
Not true. All laundry soap I've seen on the market is formulated to work in cold, warm, or hot. I do all my laundry on cold with the exception of towels, sheets, and some of my whites. All my laundry comes out very clean.
I've been washing in cold water for many years now, only use hot if something is unusually greasy or oily. Just buy a detergent formulated for cold water and you'll save a lot on heating water.
Most of today's detergents are made specifically to work in cold water.





I only use warm- never hot- water to do whites with chlorine bleach.





Using cold saves energy and cuts down on shrinkage!!
All detergents clean in cold water. I've used it with frozen water from outside and it does clean.
I wash all of my good clothes in cold water. The color stays longer and I find the clothes stay looking newer longer.
there is cold water All that washes well. don't worry about the detergent it all cleans in cold water in my opinion
I always wash my laundry in cold water. I never have a problem getting clothes clean.
I always wash my clothes in cold water and they come out clean . I also use a detergent for cold water wash.

No comments:

Post a Comment